Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Zirrly Review

Zirrly graciously sent us a set of Super Beads to review. We chose to make the 3D Car and Truck project. Many of you probably recognize that these beads look very similar to some popular brands that require use of an iron to fuse the beads together. Super Beads are completely different. No hot iron is needed to adhere the beads to each other! Simply spray your creations with water. That's it. It is truly that simple!
Our cousin was in town when we received the package. Naturally, he wanted to help put the truck together. So the four year old helped my 12 year old. The kit included all the necessary materials to make the car and the truck plus enough beads to create both of them. However the difficulty level of this project is pretty high, so my four year old nephew lost interest pretty quickly. He did enjoy placing the beads on the tray and talking with his older cousin while doing so, but my 12 year old really did most of the work.
To begin, you place a template under the plastic tray. This template shows you where you need to place the beads and what colors you need to place where. Once all of the correct beads are place, simply spray with water and allow to dry completely. The instructions suggest waiting at least 30 minutes for the drying time. We waited overnight.
The following day, we followed the picture instructions to make the truck 3D. OK I'm going to be completely honest here, we struggled with this part. There is one picture where it is unclear where the housing for the wheels are to be placed. Honestly, I really wish there were written instructions along with the pictures. Some parts seemed a bit unclear. A few written instructions would have helped clarify the directions for us. We did end up taking the truck apart twice until we got it correct. This is totally NOT a deal breaker. I chalk it up to being the first time my 12 year old had ever put together this type of project.
Overall we are pleased with Zirrly Super Beads. I love that no heat is required making this awesome resource accessible to much younger learners. I love that there is a variety of simple, easy to make projects. I love that kids can do this on their own. A 3D model is going to be more challenging than flat models, but still accessible with some adult guidance. Our truck model is still hanging around and has plenty of play left in it.
One of my reasons for choosing a 3D model was because we had never completed a project like this. I like the idea of the kids making something that is useful to them. Next on our wishlist is the Mega Pack. I really love the open ended creativity that is encouraged in that pack. Let me know if you try out Super Beads and what you think about them. My friend Dacia blogged about their experience with the Zirrly Super Beads Mega Pack. I'm excited to read about their experience too!


Curious what other reviewers had to say about this product? Head on over to the Homeschool Review Crew blog to read all the reviews.

Crew Disclaimer

Connect with me here:

1 comment:

  1. You guys did a fantastic job reviewing and presenting our Super Beads. We’re super impressed. Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in hearing what you think! Share your thoughts here: