Monday, April 10, 2017

Web Design for Homeschool Review

CompuScholar, Inc. Web Design

For the past few weeks my son has been building a web site. This is always something that he wanted to do, but I really didn't have enough time (or knowledge) to help him. He gladly volunteered to work through the Web Design program with CompuScholar, Inc.. I was a bit hesitant to request this one for him, Why? Well it says grades 6-12. I was afraid that something with that large of an age range and him being on the very youngest end of the age range that it would be way to difficult for him. However, he has accepted the challenge and really has enjoyed learning how to build a web site.

CompuScholar, Inc. also offers other courses: Digital Savvy and Java Programming. I did not personally review each of these additional courses, but you can read all the crew reviews as we all reviewed one of these three courses.
Each chapter includes several lessons. These lessons include a video component, written lesson instructions, and a lesson quiz. There are also activity instructions. These are the parts of the lesson that the student uses to build their website. The end of each chapter also includes an exam.

I have watched along for a few of the lessons and have been impressed with the level of instruction and the way things are broken down to be manageable for the students without overwhelming them. My son has more often than not worked on two or three lessons each day. Lessons are not overly long and the step-by-step instructions included in the written instructions are very accurate.
There has been a time or two that he hit a speed bump and didn't quite understand what to do, but I just encouraged him to continue watching the video lesson and reading through the written lesson. He was then able to figure out a missed step and continue on successfully.

When you register your child for a class component, you also set up an account for you, the teacher. When you access your teacher profile you can check quiz scores, see an answer key for each lesson, and also have access to written directions with helps for helping the students. At first I didn't realize that the teacher and student logins were separate from each other and that they did two different things. Now that I have accessed the teacher portion of the website, I see how helpful that is and how valuable it is to have access to.

This is truly a complete course for building a website from scratch. Literally from nothing so something amazing. I really feel like this is something that I myself need to work through. I have wanted to build myself a website for some time, but there were so many unknowns and searching for the information on the web is like picking a needle out of a haystack--dead ends and hours of searching only to find that the information is useless or outdated. This course keeps all the information in one place, and it's accurate and relevant.  

Curious what other reviewers had to say about this product? Head on over to the Homeschool Review Crew blog to read all the reviews.

Crew Disclaimer

Connect with me here:
Twitter // Pinterest // Instagram // Facebook // Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in hearing what you think! Share your thoughts here: