Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Eighth Grade Line Up

Wow! I can't believe my youngest in already in eighth grade. I honestly never thought it would happen so fast, but it has! This is what we have lined up for him this year:


  • Introduction to Robotics level A
    • This really amazing curriculum from 42 Electronics looks so incredibly promising! Plus he's really excited (me too) to be learning programming with the Raspberry Pi mini computer. I can't wait to see the other levels that are coming out soon. Level B is supposed to be released this August with levels C and D following. All levels will build on each other.
  • Physical Science
    • Exploration Education Advanced--this will count towards high school credit for him so that's exciting too!
    • This is a repeat curriculum for us. My oldest used it as well as my third daughter. I decided to pull it back out for my son as well. He really learns well with hands-on experiments and I like that this can be done mostly independently. This company has excellent customer service. When I asked about a replacement project, they worked with me to get me the newest update since the project we had done in the past was outdated.
  • Scientist Biographies
    • I have a nice collection of scientist biographies that we will read through. My goal here is to read them aloud to him, but he may in all reality end up reading them on his own.
  • DIVE math with Saxon 8/7
    • I'll be honest here: I've always kind of written off using Saxon with my kids, but the more I heard about DIVE and the more I read about this particular level of Saxon, I knew it would be a perfect fit for my son. He knows this math, but really needs to become proficient with these skills before going into higher level math.
    • We will be working through this using the timed method--he will work for 45 minutes each day and stop regardless where he is in the lesson and will simply pick up the next day where he left off from the previous day.
  • Modern American/World history
    • I think this is going to be an interesting year for him. We are focusing heavily on STEM subjects this year, so I'm choosing to keep history simple. I have a list of audio books for him to listen to as well as DVDs to watch. We will discuss and spend more time on topics that he is interested in.
  • English/Language Arts
    • I'm still not completely sure on what to do here. I know for sure we are going to finish working through Fix It Grammar book 2, and I'm open to suggestions for any literature and composition suggestions. 
    • We will also continue to work through Essentials of the English Language.
    • Word Up vocabulary videos should be super fun and helpful this year.
  • Last, but not least, we will continue to be involved in Bible Quiz through our church. This year we are studying the book of John. I love how Bible Quizzing fulfills a Bible study, curriculum, and scripture memory in one neat little package.
Connect with me here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in hearing what you think! Share your thoughts here: