Wednesday, August 8, 2018

High School Line Up

Last year I graduated a senior. I think I finally have this high school thing figured out. This year I will have a sophomore and a junior. Time really does fly! These two are close in age; many of their subjects are similar. They might work together, but really each one learns so differently that they will most likely work independently.

Tenth Grade:
  • Personal Finance
    • A sweet friend is teaching this class using the Dave Ramsey personal finance materials. I really love these principles and am glad my teens are learning them at a young age.
  • Algebra 1/Geometry
    • Alivia is going to finish Algebra 1 using No Nonsense Algebra and go into Geometry. Schoolhouse Teachers has an awesome geometry taught by Mr. D. She will use that or Math U See Geometry, whichever suits her best.
  • Literature
    • This is one I'm looking forward to. I love reading and discussing literature with teens. And a book club style is a great fit for us! We will be working through Illuminating Literature: Characters in Crisis. The first novel we will read together is Frankenstein.
  • Heart of Dakota Missions to Modern Marvels
    • For Alivia, this literature based curriculum is a great fit. Even though this is technically a middle school program, the reading assignments are adequate for high school with just a few modifications.
  • Chemistry
    • I'm still a bit undecided about chemistry. There are some chemistry instructions and assignments in the Heart of Dakota schedule, but I really think for high school it should be a bit meatier. I have Chemistry 101 to use in addition, but I'm really thinking we should consider DIVE Chemistry.

Eleventh Grade:
  • Personal Finance
    • Dave Ramsey taught by a dear friend.
  • Geometry
    • We are going to start the year using Math U See Geometry. If after a few lessons this is not a good fit, she will transition to Mr. D Geometry on Schoolhouse Teachers. There is a video for each lesson and note-taking pages as well as full solutions for each homework question.
  • Government
    • Lexi will be reading the Uncle Eric series for government this year. These books are a series of letters written from Uncle Eric to his nephew answering questions all about government, finances, careers, and economics. She will also read the Declaration of Independence, study the constitution, and read many primary source documents written by the founding fathers.
  • Literature
    • Lexi and Alivia will work together reading and discussing several literary classics. I'm thinking to add Fix It Grammar book 3 into the rotation.
  • Chemistry
    • Lexi wants to go into nursing. I'm now accepting suggestions for college prep level chemistry options. 

Connect with me here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in hearing what you think! Share your thoughts here: