Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Reading Eggs Review


This month I'm back with a review of my favorite online reading resource called Reading Eggs. At first I was kind of leary of trying this program, but we did try it last year and I really do like it. As an educator, I like the incremental approach to teaching reading skills. There is just enough review built in to keep skills mastered. There is definitely something for just about everyone on this site!
Reading Eggs has also recently released a series of workbooks suitable for Kindergarten through fifth grade for reading and Kindergarten through second grade for math. I briefly perused the samples, and I have to say that these look absolutely amazing! Unfortunately, I didn't have any children in these age ranges so I didn't review any of the workbooks, but I do hope you will check out some of the other reviews so you can see what many of my fellow homeschooling mamas think about these bright, engaging, and thorough workbooks. They definitely seem like they will be an "EGGsceptional" complement to the online portion of Reading Eggs. My only concern is that these books are grade leveled very boldly on the cover. I personally know that if I had a student who was in fourth grade needing to be working in a second or third grade workbook, that student might become a bit discouraged. I would personally love to see these printed without the bold grade level on them.
My son uses the Reading Eggspress part of Reading Eggs. I have loved how easy it is for him to practice reading comprehension and other language skills. Reading Eggspress is for ages 7-13. He is on the upper end of the age range at 13. This will definitely be the final year that he uses Reading Eggspress as he is almost all the way through the content of this level. I am so impressed with how his confidence with reading has grown and how many gains he has made with consistent daily practice. He logs in daily and completes one lesson. There is a quiz at the end of each map. If he doesn't earn a passing grade on the first try, he is able to try again. This encourages him to read carefully and to pay attention to what he is reading. During a typical lesson, he will practice some vocabulary as well as several essential language arts topics. At the end of each lesson, he reads a chapter from a book and takes a quiz over it. He is rewarded throughout the lesson with golden eggs, which can be spent in the store to upgrade his house. He really doesn't play around in too many of the other areas of Reading Eggs, although there are several cool places to explore. The different areas allow students to practice spelling skills or play various video-like games against other players. He has really kind of outgrown that part of this program and we are pretty much using this as reading comprehension. It is engaging and gets the job done simply and easily. There is a placement test for Reading Eggspress to help get your student placed in the correct level. It can easily be customized in the parent's dashboard.

Reading Eggs is the part of the website that teaches phonics skills and early reading skills to younger students: ages 3-7. These are systematic lessons for this younger set of students to learn how to read in an engaging and fun atmosphere. When your student first enters this area, they are given the option to simply start at lesson 1 or take a placement test. I suggest a placement test if your child has already had some instruction with phonics.

Reading Eggs Junior is for the very youngest learners to explore and have fun while learning those very basic but essential reading skills. This area isn't set up with lessons for the student to complete. Instead they freely explore in the different play areas. My three year old niece enjoys this and likes to watch the nursery rhyme videos over and over.

Math Seeds is a beginning math program for ages 3-9. This too is an incremental approach to build some foundational math skills. If your student has had some math instruction, have them take the placement test. I have worked through several of the beginning lessons with my three year old niece. The early lessons focus on one-to-one counting skills and introduce shapes. The students play games which makes the learning fun and engaging.

All of these programs are built into the Reading Eggs website and all are absolutely phenomenal. I highly recommend this program to all learners in the appropriate age ranges. The lessons are incremental and not overwhelming or hard to complete. Students are challenged and encouraged as they work through the lessons. This would also be great to include in your child's daily routines as it is something they could potentially complete on their own. Each time my son completes a map, I receive an email which states the skills that he has practiced during that map as well as the score he received on the quiz. I can also access the parent dashboard to adjust lessons as needed.

Curious what other reviewers had to say about this product? Head on over to the Homeschool Review Crew blog to read all the reviews.

Crew Disclaimer

Connect with me here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in hearing what you think! Share your thoughts here: