Monday, August 5, 2013

2013-2014 Curriculum Plans

Together:

 I like to be able to combine my children to be able to study many of our subjects together. This year the main subjects we will be learning together are Bible, poetry, and art. In the past we have combined almost all of our subjects except for math and language arts but I was finding that there was so much competition. So we are trying something NEW this year.


Bible:   

Who is God?  by Apologia. This is something I have been wanting to do with them for quite some time. We have the MP3 version to go along with the book. Hopefully that will save my voice and it will be nice to listen to a portion each day during our lunch break.

Pilgrim's Progress By Answers in Genesis. Another great book I've been wanting to study. We will alternate between this and the Apologia study. Each week we will also be memorizing a Bible verse which applies to what we have read in Pilgrim's Progress. Also have the audio in order to save my voice and so we can listen at lunchtime.



Poetry:

Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization from IEW. This is an AWESOME resource! If I had to pick just one, this would be my all-time favorite. The poems are superb and the CDs with all the poems read by Andrew Pudewa are FANTASTIC! We memorized level 1 last year, so on to level 2 this year. I can't wait!

Art:

Picture Study Portfolios from Simply Charlotte Mason. This is seriously the easiest way to encourage and enjoy art history. I love the methodology and philosophy. You can't go wrong with any of these portfolios.

Handicrafts Knitting from Simply Charlotte Mason. I have always wanted to learn how to knit. Well with this step by step DVD, it shouldn't be too challenging for all of us to learn together! 

Read alouds:

These are books that I will read to everyone. Usually we read them just before bedtime. I have some great ones in mind, but don't have them all chosen yet. Sometimes I let the kids pick, other times I choose. Do you have any suggestions that your children adored? Leave me a comment to let me know!


Grade 8:

Heart of Dakota Revival to Revolution: early American and world history.
50 States Under God
Discovering Doctrine notebook from Simply Charlotte Mason.
Jesus is Better Bible Study from Simply Charlotte Mason along with Before You Meet Prince Charming and Girl Talk
Grammar of Poetry by Matt Whitling (first semester)
Literature: The Hobbit, The Narrow Road, Little Women (second semester)
IEW US history based writing lessons volume 1
Exploration Education Physical Science advanced version--I think the 3rd grader is most excited about this science curriculum!

Math U See Pre-Algebra 
Gymnastics
Voice lessons

Grade 6:

Heart of Dakota Creation to Christ  
Drawn into the Heart of Reading: Ballet Shoes, Bound for Oregon,  Island of the Blue Dolphins, Detectives in Togas
Proverbs  and Hebrews Walking in Faith
IEW Following Narnia + first 3 Narnia books
Science: We will follow the science as written in Creation to Christ. It includes land animals and biology topics.
50 states study
Math U See Epsilon
Ballet 
Voice lessons

Grade 5:

Heart of Dakota Preparing Hearts for His Glory: overview of world history and some science
Drawn into the Heart of Reading: Imprisoned in the Golden City, George Mueller, Caddie Woodlawn, Esperanza Rising
Proverbs  and Hebrews Walking in Faith
IEW geography based writing lessons
Beautiful Feet geography through literature lessons
50 states study
Math U See Delta 
106 Days of Creation by Simply Charlotte Mason
Gymnastics

Grade 3:

Beautiful Feet history of science
Lots and lots of practice reading
Proverbs  and Hebrews Walking in Faith
IEW geography based writing lessons
Beautiful Feet geography through literature lessons
50 states study  
Math U See Gamma
106 Days of Creation by Simply Charlotte Mason
NOEO Physics 2  
Flag Football 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in hearing what you think! Share your thoughts here: